Oct 9, 2010

Eveline Exner of Küchentanz


Today, please meet Eveline Exner of Küchentanz, an exquisite food blog that goes beyond tasty recipes. 

Follow the jump below to find out why Eveline likes her blog to be uncomfortable sometimes, why she has never accepted advertising offers, and to read her advice on what not to do when blogging.




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

Name: Eveline Exner. Age: 56. Occupation: I run a small, internationally operating software company together with my husband. I'm in charge of all marketing activities. I'm a publicist who's previously worked as a PR-executive and event manager for many years, both in politics and the private sector.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I've been blogging since May 2009. A food blogger that knew me and my discontentment with the usual cooking forums encouraged me to take it up. I wanted to communicate about eating and food differently, not just share recipes and gossip about famous TV chefs.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called Küchentanz ["Kitchen Dance"]. It revolves around pleasure. Besides cooking, food, and wine, I discuss books, movies, sports and music, which in my opinion all belong to a pleasurable life.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I want to whet people's appetite, excite them, and while doing so look beyond the proverbial edge of the plate. [A German saying that means looking beyond the edge of one's nose.] This includes both political and cultural issues, and also provocative topics that might get uncomfortable.

Who's your target audience?

Anyone who is able to indulge yet at the same time doesn't turn off her sense of responsibility for the world and its resources. Meaning: Conscious bon vivants.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I use Blogger, that's free.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

As I have no experience with web design, I just signed up with Google's Blogger. It's very easy: You start right away.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

Photos are very important on food blogs. Mine are amateurish and can't keep up with properly styled food photography. But they're authentic and the food I show is edible. Through mixpod.com I show music I like on my blog (these are youtube clips). And I make slide shows of my dishes, like this one: http://kuechentanz.blogspot.com/2009/05/sweets-for-my-sweet.html

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

According to sitemeter I've got around 7.500 visits a month (15.000 page views). That's more than I'd ever expected. I'd like to stay small and neat, so I'm not trying to get any more. I deleted myself from a couple of blog registries, as I prefer readers who are actually interested in my subject, critical and adept to those that only applaud.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

You have to know more about communication than about computers. My very personal advice on what not to do when blogging:

Traffic Hunting
Inappropriate advertising
Conformity
Disguise yourself as someone else.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

Yes. One time, some crazy person tried to seize my blog and mob me. But that didn't work out.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

I get lots of offers for link exchanges, and to place ads for salami, Nutella, online food shops, and what not. I don't want that. I run my online diary for fun.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

No. I see no advantages. I don't care about superficial communication. When contacting friends, I much prefer phone or e-mail.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

I like many blogs, no matter whether they are written by a man or woman. But I especially like Katha's www.esskultur.at.


* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Name: Eveline Exner. Alter: 56. Beruf: Ich betreibe gemeinsam mit meinem Mann eine kleine, international tätige Softwarefirma und bin für Marketing zuständig. Ich bin von der Ausbildung her Publizistin und habe viele Jahre als PR-Frau und Event-Managerin im politischen Bereich und Privatwirtschaft gearbeitet.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Ich blogge seit Mai 2009. Eine Foodbloggerin, die mich und meine Unzufriedenheit mit den üblichen Kochforen kannte, hat mich dazu animiert. Ich wollte anders über Essen und Kochen kommunizieren, als nur Rezepte auszutauschen oder über Fernsehköche zu reden.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Mein Blog heisst Küchentanz. Er bewegt sich rund um Genuss. Neben Kochen, Essen, Wein gehören auch Bücher, Kino, Sport und Musik für mich zum genussreichen Leben.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Ich möchte Appetit machen, anregen und doch über den Tellerrand des Kochens hinausschauen. Dazu gehört manchmal auch Unbequemes, Politisches, Kulturelles und Provokantes.

Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Jeder Mensch, der geniessen kann und dabei trotzdem seinen Verstand und sein Verantwortungsbewusstsein für die Welt und ihre Ressourcen nicht ausschaltet. Also: bewusste Geniesser.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich verwende Blogger, das kostet nichts.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Da ich keinerlei Können im Bereich Webdesign habe, habe ich mich Blogger von Google bedient. ist ganz leicht: man fängt einfach an.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
Fotos sind in Foodblogs ganz wichtig. Meine sind zwar amateurhaft und können mit total gestylter Food-Fotografie nicht mithalten. Dafür sind sie authentisch und das fotografierte Gericht ist essbar. Mit mixpod.com zeige ich eine Auswahl meiner Musik auf meinem Blog (Das sind youTube-Clips). Und ich mache Slideshows mit meinen Gerichten, zum Beispiel so eine: http://kuechentanz.blogspot.com/2009/05/sweets-for-my-sweet.html

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Ich habe laut sitemeter so um die 7.500 Visits im Monat (15.000 Page Views). Das ist mehr als ich je erwartet habe. Ich möchte klein und fein bleiben, daher strebe ich nicht mehr an. Aus einigen Blogverzeichnissen habe ich mich wieder gelöscht, weil ich lieber nur wirklich interessierte, kritische und auch kundige Leser habe, nicht nur Beifallsklatscher.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps?
Man muss mehr über Kommunikation wissen als über Computer. Meine ganz persönlichen Tips, was man beim Bloggen unbedingt vermeiden sollte:

Traffic-Hunting
Unpassende Werbung
Konformität
In Rollen schlüpfen, die man im richtigen Leben nicht spielt.


Hast Du mit dem Bloggen auch schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht? Welcher Art?
Ja. Es wurde mal von einer gestörten Person versucht, meinem Blog zu kapern und mich zu mobben. Das ist aber nicht gelungen.

Und hast Du mit Deinem Blog auch schon Geld verdient? Wenn ja, wie?
Ich bekomme viele Angebote, mich zu verlinken, Werbung für Salami, Nutella, Online-Shops für Lebensmittel, was weiss ich alles, zu machen. Das will ich nicht. Ich habe mein Webtagebuch rein zum Vergnügen.

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Nein. Ich sehe keine Vorteile. Mir liegt nichts an oberflächlicher Kommunikation. Nachrichten mit Freunden tausche ich am liebsten am Telefon oder per Email aus.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Mir gefallen viele Blogs, egal ob von Mann oder Frau. Aber in Kathas www.esskultur.at lese ich besonders gerne.

No comments:

Post a Comment